It happens to ALL of us. You are doing the do, following the plan that you have put in place for yourself to a tee. And then STUFF … LIFE, whatever you want to call it, happens and throws you a curve ball and to quote Robert Burns, “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft agley”. This is why Metrics are such a valuable tool to use in measuring your blog’s effectiveness and pinpointing specific areas that require your immediate attention.
The last post that I did for this series TWO WEEKS AGO, (forgive me everyone, I should have done what I always tell others to do :-(), discussed using Google Analytics to track and measure the results you are receiving for your blogging efforts.
I was shocked and stunned today when I took a good look at my Analytics Account for my MLM Blog and NOT in a good way. Here are snapshots of my Analytics Summary for today and Alexa summaries from March 2010 and today as well. There is LOTS of bad news to be seen. The GOOD NEWS is that situation can be reversed. I’ ll talk about that a little later on.
The snapshot below is from today May 29, 2010 …
This snapshot is from March 8, 2010 (almost 90 days ago) …
This snapshot is from my Google Analytics Account May 29,2010 …
My Alexa ranking was in the 240,000 range 10 days ago …. What Happened ?
Here are the three questions that I am asking myself right now:
- What relevant conclusions can I draw from this information?
- What can I do to improve these results?
- How can this information help me serve my readers better and increase the number of readers to my blog?
Here are the answers that I have come up with (I’m inviting you to add your analysis to this in the comment section below):
1. Although my Alexa rankings are up from March 2010, they took a HUGE nosedive over the past 10 days. My traffic is WAY down compared to last month. The bounce rate is VERY high based on my historical numbers. People are spending alot less time ON the blog. And they are looking at fewer pages.
- I was posting alot more 3 months ago
- I was posting really interesting, relevant content
- I was syndicating and commenting alot more on OTHER PEOPLE’S blogs
- I was actively publishing articles to different article directories and social communities
- I had just published my e-Book
- I was alot more SOCIAL in the blogoshpere, Facebook, Twitter, Better Networker, Blog Talk Radio
- I had alot of BUZZ going on around my content because I was creating alot of BUZZ around other people’s content
- I took on several time intensive consulting projects
- I did not allow sufficient time for Socializing – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Better Networker
- I did not create another new product
- I was not back linking to other people’s content adequately
- I stopped posting 3 times a week and went to a 1 post per week schedule
- I didn’t do any sort of article marketing to create back links to my information
- My content became old and not relevant to the needs of Network Marketers and MLM’ers
- My self-management went straight to hell
Can This Be Fixed?
Yes it can, but not without a serious overhaul of my daily method of operation. Things have gotten really busy because of the consulting work that I have picked up. Reviewing the LONG TERM results and goals I want, I allowed myself to get seriously off track because of “bright new shiny objects”. This is no way to build a business that is going to be around for the long haul. Here is what I can do right now to get back on track.
- I can hire a VA to help with some of the more mundane tasks.
- I need to get SOCIAL again. There are ways to automate some of that, but I will need to invest more upfront time interacting at a higher level with other people so that I can find out exactly what the new concerns are and how to best serve my current readers and attract more people to my information (which is how I got my consulting clients in the first place).
- I need to create another high value, totally relevant information product.
- I need to focus on getting more of my content syndicated. TSA (Tribe Syndication with thatMLMbeat.com) will provide a big boost for me socially as well as for content syndication.
Lessons Learned From All Of This
Maintaining focus and self-discipline is CRITICAL to the LONG TERM success of anything. Having the right tools in place to measure results is IMPERATIVE to ensuring that one is on the right course. Responding to the detours and challenges that will inevitably occur, in a proactive rather than a reactive way, brings about quicker course correction and better long term results. It is VITAL to be on the bleeding edge of current trends and information and to share that information with the people that can benefit from it. And most important of all, since we are in a social economy, being surrounded by a Tribe that shares my vision is paramount to my success online.
My hope that you received some real value from this post! Be sure to leave your comments and suggestions in the comments area. And take a minute to share this story with YOUR Tribe!!
About The Author –
Rose Mis is the author of “Dead Blogs Don’t Lie ~ 7 Secrets To A Wildly Popular High Traffic Blog”. I am also the Executive Chef (aka Chief Cook and Bottle Washer ;-)) of the Attraction Marketing Training Kitchen. You are invited to stop by the Kitchen anytime you have any questions about blogging and marketing YOU with your blog !
Blog: RoseMis.com Forum: MLM Blogging